BLW // Banana Pancake Recipe

Dexter turns six months old at the end of this week and it’s finally time to start a bit of Baby Led Weaning.

I’ve wanted to do this with Dexter from the get go, but I succumbed at 22 weeks and started with a few purées. I had read that once purées were introduced that finger food was no longer a possibility. Thankfully, I know my own baby and could see he was still interested in feeding himself. I’ve offered a few bits of soft fruit and veg for him to grab as a snack but today was the first time I properly made something to offer as a meal.

These pancakes are so easy to make and you only need two ingredients!

Method

Take one banana and mash it up with a fork. The riper the banana,the better. Of course you can use a food processor/blender to save time but to be honest I’d rather spend the extra time mashing than cleaning up the blender.

blw banana pancake recipe

Crack an egg into the blended banana and whisk with the fork. Keep whisking until the mixture becomes frothy and batter-like.

blw banana pancake recipe

That’s it! Your batter is ready. I then heated some coconut oil in a frying pan and added a tablespoon of mixture for each pancake I wanted to make. (You can use butter, margerine or other oil instead of coconut oil)

blw banana pancake recipe

I let the pancakes fry for around two minutes before flipping. You can see when they’re ready to be flipped because they start browning at the edges. (The hob was on 6/9)

blw banana pancake recipe

I then served them on a plate ready for Dex once they were cool enough. These fab Munchkin White Hot plates tell me when the food it too hot.

blw banana pancake recipe

Result

I put them on Dexter’s tray two at a time so as not to overface him. I ate one pancake to show him how to do it.blw banana pancake recipe
He absolutely adored them! A few bits ended up on the floor as he got to grips with picking them up but that’s a given with BLW. I was actually surprised with how much he actually managed to eat. The pancakes were soft enough for him to gum and ‘chew’ off smaller pieces.

blw banana pancake recipe

You can also drop extra fruit into the batter once you’ve made it – squashed blueberries, raspberries, raisins, anything goes.

Let me know if you try it with your baby and how you get on! I’m off to sweep the floor ready for our next meal at 5pm.

• Reply Mummy Times Two

Thanks so much for this, we’ve just started baby led weaning so will be giving these a try for lunch today. I’m always looking for new ideas and they look fantastic!

17th November 2016 at 10:09 am
    • Reply mummytodex

Hope you enjoy making them as much as I did!

17th November 2016 at 1:49 pm
  • Reply Mrsmummyharris86

Definitely gonna try this after our failed attempt of porridge fingers! #sharingthebloglove

17th November 2016 at 11:53 am
  • Reply Lucy

Thanks for sharing this! I wanted to make these but couldn’t find the recipe and for some reason thought there was a third ingredient. I’ll try them on the weekend. We are also doing BLW. Who says a baby who has had puree can’t have finger food! The die-hard BLW will tell you that a baby who has had puree isn’t a true BLW baby. My thoughts: who cares! Feed your baby how you want to feed them, never mind the labels! #SharingTheBlogLove

17th November 2016 at 12:33 pm
    • Reply mummytodex

Thanks Lucy. I hope it goes as well for you as it did for me. You are right about the labels. I am sick of feeling I’m doing things wrong!

17th November 2016 at 1:48 pm
  • Reply Amy | All Things Amy

These look great, will definitely give them a go!

17th November 2016 at 4:23 pm
  • Reply Katy - Hot Pink Wellingtons

Aww, those sound great and he obviously loves them! I was keen on baby led weaning too, but my son just wasn’t capable of picking things up at 6 months, so we started on purees and then introduced finger food alongside it. I didn’t find it a problem at all and he took to food like he’d been waiting for it his whole life! Thanks for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove

18th November 2016 at 4:14 pm
    • Reply mummytodex

Thanks for your comment Katy. It’s great to know that purées and finger food worked for you. Its amazing how clever they are. Thanks for having me at #SharingtheBlogLove 💗

19th November 2016 at 8:52 am
  • Reply dearbearandbeany

These look great! Holly would have loved these, she loves bananas and I made lots of different banana type recipes when I was weaning. Thank you for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove x

22nd November 2016 at 8:47 pm
  • Reply Our Baby-Led Weaning Experience - Feat. Mummy To Dex - OddHogg

[…] made me do it, but a few days before he turned six months, I went into the kitchen and made some banana pancakes. When I offered them to him he gobbled them up in a matter of minutes, using his hands to feed […]

25th January 2017 at 5:18 am
  • Reply Mummy to Dex - How to Grow Traffic to Your Blog Using Pinterest- Mummy to Dex

[…] to think of things to do with such a young baby. There’s about 10,000 pins on how to make banana pancakes, so try coming up with something original that nobody, or very few people have pinned about […]

9th February 2017 at 7:22 pm
  • Reply Mummy to Dex - Mini Courgette Pizzas - Baby Led Weaning (BLW) - MummytoDex

[…] wanted to try something adventurous today after the banana pancake success yesterday. I have a million ideas running through my head and decided to start with […]

23rd February 2017 at 11:58 am