BLW Recipe // Banana and Peanut Butter Oat Cookies

I had one lonely (very ripe!) banana left in the fruit bowl and was debating what to do with it, when I realised Dex hadn’t tried cookies before. I struggle to make porridge fingers, I don’t know why, they just don’t work for me, so I am always thinking of ingenious ways to incorporate oats into Dexter’s breakfasts without having to spoonfeed him porridge.

Banana and Peanut Butter Oat Cookies recipe. An easy breakfast or snack to offer for baby led weaning. Healthy and nutritious.

These banana and peanut butter oat cookies are delicious, soft, and healthy. I didn’t add any sugar to sweeten them and they definitely don’t need it. They come in at 73 calories per cookie, so they’re also a great addition to a lunchbox as a healthy snack. This recipe makes nine cookies, but you can just double the quantities to make more.

What you will need to make these banana and peanut butter oat cookies:

1 banana

60g rolled oats

3 tbsp peanut butter

1 egg

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 180C

2. In a bowl, mash a banana with a fork. Crack in an egg and combine. Add in the oats and stir together. Finally, add the peanut butter and mix until a sticky dough is formed.

3. Line a baking tray with grease proof paper and dollop tablespoons of the mixture on to it. Flatten each dollop with the back of your spoon and shape into circles.

4. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cook for longer if you want a crispier cookie, but 12 minutes will suffice for a soft cookie suitable for BLW.

5. Leave to cool for a few minutes before consuming.

I let my husband try these before offering to them to Dex. Let’s just say Dex was lucky there were any left for him to have for breakfast! They are soft on the inside and are extremely moreish. I offered Dex three in total and accounting for scraps he probably ate the equivelent of two cookies. He is currently going through the leap 6 and is categorising everything, this meant he turned the cookie around and around in his hands, trying to figure out what it is. He put it to his mouth to take a bite and the cookie broke up. Dex was then able to pick up the smaller bits to consume. A plastic scoop bib in invaluable for collecting bits of dropped cookie so I can pick them back out for him to eat.

All in all, a huge success! Let me know if you try these delicious banana and peanut butter oat cookies. I’m going to make a big batch of them and freeze for easy access to breakfasts and on the go snacks.

My friend Kris made these cookies and posted about it on her blog. She also made two videos showing you how to make them!

Why not have a look at some of my other BLW recipes here?

• Reply Kim Carberry

Never mind the babies I like the sound of these for myself. I am rubbish at eating breakfast and these would be perfect.
    Kim Carberry recently posted…ChewyMoon Subscription Box – Review!My Profile

3rd January 2017 at 4:01 pm
    • Reply mummytodex

Yes they are delicious. My husband ate most of them this morning so i’ll have to whip up another batch for Dex to store in the freezer 😛

3rd January 2017 at 4:27 pm

Good idea – we’re always left with scabby bananas, just made some banana bread with ours but these cookies would have been perfect! Ahh well, I’ll do them with next weeks leftover banana!
    Devon Mama recently posted…Review: Cosatto Noodle Supa HighchairMy Profile

5th January 2017 at 1:45 pm
  • Reply Amy

I’d probably eat these myself too! Great recipe 🙂 ox
    Amy recently posted…Tips To Become A Better ParentMy Profile

5th January 2017 at 3:39 pm
  • Reply Emily and Indiana

Ooh these sound perfect for my two – although I think we’ll struggle to have any left over bananas haha. Will definitely give them a go 🙂 x
    Emily and Indiana recently posted…Parker’s 17 Month UpdateMy Profile

5th January 2017 at 7:38 pm
  • Reply Helen @Talking_Mums

These look delicious, not a huge fan of peanut butter but combined in this recipe sounds lovely. Will have to try with my pudding x

5th January 2017 at 8:15 pm
  • Reply Anonymous

these look scrumptious, so much so I think would even eat myself! Great for breakfast

Lindsey

5th January 2017 at 8:20 pm
  • Reply Daddy Poppins

Oh they look nice. You’re making me hungry. Must give them a try.

5th January 2017 at 8:46 pm
  • Reply Claire

oh my goodness these look delicious! I’m also looking for new foods to give logan too so we definitely have to try these, last time I gave him a little egg, he had a very slight reaction so should be safe to introduce it soon. These also look so easy, I’m pretty crap in the kitchen but I’d definitely make these! 🙂 xx

5th January 2017 at 9:27 pm
  • Reply Mummy in a TuTu

Wow so easy but look like something my little one would really love too!!
    Thanks for linking to #foodiefriday

12th January 2017 at 12:38 pm
  • Reply Shannon

Can these be refrigerated and re heated?

12th January 2017 at 2:40 pm
  • Reply Mummytologan.wordpress.com

yeah these look scrummy i want to make these for logan
    (myself ;))
    Mummytologan.wordpress.com recently posted…Come join us over on my self hosted blogMy Profile

12th January 2017 at 6:55 pm
  • Reply Becky sparklymummy

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm how good do these look for get the kids I want them – now !!! Bet they are fab dipped in a warm cup of coffee !!!

#FoodieFriday
    Becky sparklymummy recently posted…Try it Tuesday – Bombay potatoesMy Profile

13th January 2017 at 1:00 am
  • Reply Anca

They are great. I added some sultans to them so they are more sweet. I love them, and baby eats them 🙂

26th January 2017 at 9:31 pm
  • Reply 4 Ingredient Oat Biscuits - Baby Led Weaning Recipe - OddHogg

[…] eat fruit all day long if I let him, but I want him to broaden his palatte. I saw a recipe for banana and PB oat cookies and tried them out. Although they were nice, there was something missing to make them more to my […]

6th February 2017 at 5:02 am
  • Reply Mummy to Dex - Blogging // Duplicate Content: A Form of Flattery or Something More Sinister? - Mummy to Dex

[…] for popped up on my Facebook newsfeed. It wasn’t MY image, but I knew straight away they were these cookies because they look so weird. I created this recipe early one January morning. I woke up, the idea […]

28th February 2017 at 11:58 am
  • Reply Mummy to Dex - How to Grow Traffic to Your Blog Using Pinterest- Mummy to Dex

[…] is important to create blog posts that are unique and engage Pinterest users. My best pins are my banana and peanut cookies, green bean pesto recipe and activities for five month olds post. The recipes have been created by […]

19th March 2017 at 3:10 pm
  • Reply Cat Foster

I just made these with my toddler. They a yummy, thank you for sharing 🙂

22nd March 2017 at 12:36 pm