With big family events like Thanksgiving and Christmas always comes the inevitable leftover turkey and the challenge of working out what to do with it. It seems a complete waste to chuck all of that delicious food in the bin so why not make some family friendly meals such as leftover turkey broth?
Leftover Turkey Broth
The ultimate comfort food, leftover turkey broth is delicious, warming and the whole family can enjoy its deliciousness.
You often don’t feel like putting much effort into cooking after having to slave over the oven for a big Thanksgiving or Christmas meal for the whole family, so this recipe is purposefully as simple as possible to let you have the rest you deserve after the big event.
What ingredients do you need?
This leftover turkey broth recipe uses only a few simple ingredients – hopefully all of which you have on hand to save you traipsing out to the shops during the holiday period!
- Leftover turkey
How to make leftover turkey broth
As I previously said, I have created this recipe with the aim of making things as simple as possible so you can leave it to cook while you put your feet up! There is some hands on time, but for the most part you can set and leave!
- Fry the onion, finely chopped carrots and celery in a little butter in a saucepan.
- Add the stock and leftover turkey and simmer for 20 minutes
- Add the noodles and cook for another 4 minutes
Who can enjoy leftover turkey broth?
This recipe is totally family friendly and can be shared with everyone – including babies who are baby led weaning. I have purposefully left salt out of the recipe so that small children can enjoy it too without having to worry about the sodium content.
Can leftover turkey broth be reheated?
As this recipe uses leftover turkey which has already been cooked once and then reheated again in this leftover turkey recipe, then unfortunately it can not be reheated a third time.
If you liked this post, I would be grateful if you could pin the image below so others can find it too 🙂
- 1 Onion
- Leftover turkey
- 2 Carrots
- 2 Celery stalks
- 3 Noodle nests
- 2 stock cubes
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
1. Add chopped onion, celery and carrot to a large saucepan with a little butter and fry for around six minutes until the veg has softened.
2. Add the leftover turkey, stock and 1.2L water and bring the broth to the boil.
3. Once boiling, turn down the heat to a simmer, pop the lid on and leave for 20 minutes.
4. Add the nests of noodles and simmer for a further 4 minutes
5. Use a fork to stir the noodles and then serve!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 271Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 233mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 17g