Looking for an incredibly delicious way to use broccoli for baby led weaning? Look no further than these broccoli and cheese bites baby will love! The perfect finger food idea for babies 6 months+ who are baby led weaning or are ready for finger foods.
Baby led weaning broccoli
Broccoli is such an amazing food to offer to your baby and by offering it early on, you’ll make sure that they’re a fan for life. Even now at three and six years old, both my boys choose broccoli as their veg of choice. Felix even goes as far to have broccoli as a snack!
Broccoli is amazing for you because:
- It’s a good source of fibre which may help to prevent constipation – a common complaint for weaning babies
- Packed full of Vitamin C for a healthy immune system
- Also contains Vitamins A, B, E and K!
- A fantastic source of iron, something your baby needs to get from food sources after six months+
- Contains calcium – vital for bone and teeth health
- Also contains potassium, selenium and magnesium – all vital for supporting your baby’s health.
There’s no arguing with all that nutritional goodness!
Related Post: 20 Baby Led Weaning Dinner Ideas
Broccoli and cheese bites for babies
For the first six months of Felix’s weaning life, he tended to snack on bites, burgers, fingers and fritters as it was such an easy way of combining nutritious food in a way he could easily handle and eat it.
These broccoli and cheese bites are no different. Easy for baby to hold, absolutely delicious and of course, they can be batch prepared and stored in the fridge/freezer.
More broccoli baby led weaning recipes:
Egg free baby led weaning broccoli & cheese bites
This recipe uses egg to bind the ingredients together, but I know many of my readers have babies with egg allergies.
You can create a ‘flaxegg’ by mixing 1 tbsp of flaxseed with 3 tbsp of water and leaving in the fridge for a few minutes to develop an egg like consistency.
I have tried to create a flaxegg in the past (and seen great success) although I have not tried it with this particular recipe.
What did Felix think of these broccoli and cheese bites for babies?
Felix LOVES these broccoli & cheese bites! Ever since I started making them for him as a baby, they’ve been a huge hit! Even now at three years old, they’re my go-to snack option in the mid-afternoon when those hunger pangs hit!
More baby led weaning recipes:
What breadcrumbs do you use?
I either buy a packet of breadcrumbs from the supermarket or make my own using a food processor.
Simply toast a slice of bread and then whizz it up in the food processor until breadcrumbs are formed.
To make this recipe even easier, I use the grater attachment to grate the broccoli and cheddar, add the toast then whizz using the knife blade.
Our favourite baby led weaning products
What food processor do you use?
I use a 2 in 1 Kenwood Blender & Food Processor that makes batch cooking for baby super easy!
Not only can you make yummy smoothies for yourself, you can whizz up purees using the blender and then use the food processor to slice/grate a whole host of veggies and make yummy desserts too!
Let us know what you think of these baby led weaning broccoli & cheese bites and if you give them a go, tell us in the comments below.
- 1/2 head of broccoli (around 250 grams)
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tbsp Breadcrumbs
- 1 Spring onion (optional)
- 50 Grams Cheddar cheese
- Grate broccoli and cheddar into a large bowl.
- Add breadcrumbs, chopped spring onion and eggs and combine thoroughly.
- Prep a baking tray with baking paper and using a spoon, create walnut sized balls and place on the baking tray.
- Bake at 200C/180C fan for 10 minutes and then turn. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Leave to cool and serve whole or sliced depending on baby’s age.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 41Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 58mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 3g
Author: Nicola Hughes
Nicola has weaned both of her boys using the baby led weaning method. She loves nothing better than creating simple recipes that anyone can recreate, using as few ingredients as possible. All of her recipes have been tried and tested by both Dexter and Felix and have their seal of approval!