Today I am sharing a recipe from fellow blogger and Mum of three Rebecca. She created this recipe as a yummy meal for two, but I’ve adapted it slightly to make it suitable for baby led weaning. This recipe will make the idea quick lunch for yourself and baby at home and uses lovely fresh ingredients to create a fragrant and delicious salmon burger with a healthy side of broccoli and kale to make sure the two of you are getting your full quota of nutrients.
Baby led weaning burgers are one of my favourite things to cook, along with pancakes! Burgers are simply so versatile when you are making them yourself. You can use a wide range of meat and fish and add whatever you can find in your fridge to add flavour and extra vitamins or iron. My baby led weaning sweet potato and spinach burger recipe is the second most read page on my blog and my tuna and sweet potato burger recipe is in the top ten too. You guys seem to love baby led weaning burgers just as much as I do, so I hope you like this baby led weaning salmon burger recipe too.
Related Post: Sweet Potato and Spinach Burgers
When it comes to sourcing salmon fillets, fresh is always best in my opinion, but I have been known to buy cheaper frozen fillets too. I am always on the look out for offers on salmon and tend to bulk buy and store it in my freezer ready to batch make recipes like this one. I tend to find that frozen bought fillets can be more chewy and not as flavourful which is why I will always choose fresh if possible.
As usual, if you have an egg allergy or are vegan, you don’t need to use an egg, instead try making a flax egg which is 1 tbsp flaxmeal and 2.5tbsp water mixed together. You can also leave out the dill and capers if they’re not to your taste and replace with fresh basil, tarragon or parsley. If you’re feeling very adventurous, you could try adding 1/4 tsp of paprika or ginger.
More Baby Led Weaning Burger Recipes:
- Beetroot, Feta, Spinach and Quinoa Burgers
- Tuna, Sweet Potato and Spinach Burgers
- Sweet Potato and Spinach Burgers
Let me know if you try this baby led weaning salmon burgers recipe and be sure to visit Rebecca’s blog – Imperfect Mummy
- 2 fillets salmon
- 2 tsp capers finely chopped
- 2 tsp dill finely chopped
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 eggs
- zest one lemon
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- 200 grams broccoli
- 200 grams kale
- 2 tsp rapeseed oil
- handful chives (optional for Mum)
- 2 tsp chopped hazelnuts (optional for Mum)
- To prepare the salmon, very finely chop it or place it in a food processor and blitz for a few seconds.
- Then place the salmon, capers, dill, flour, egg, lemon zest and pepper in a bowl and combine well. Use your hands if necessary. Form the mixture into 2 balls.
- Place the burgers on a baking tray and grill for 7 minutes on each side until cooked throughout.
- While the burgers are cooking, place the broccoli and kale in the steamer and cook for 2-3 minutes until tender. Once cooked, toss them together with the rapeseed oil and chives and chopped hazelnuts, if using.
Author: Nicola Hughes
Nicola has weaned both of her boys using the baby led weaning method. She loves nothing better than creating simple recipes that anyone can recreate, using as few ingredients as possible. All of her recipes have been tried and tested by both Dexter and Felix and have their seal of approval!