My baby led weaning cheese muffins have always been a big hit with both boys (and their Dad!), but I wondered how I could make them a little more healthier. That’s why this week I am sharing with you these broccoli and cheese muffins.
Baby and toddler friendly and just as delicious as the OG cheese muffin recipe I created all those years ago, these broccoli and cheese muffins pack a little extra punch in the nutrition department simply by adding in a little broccoli!
Broccoli and Cheese Muffins for Babies
There’s nothing better for a snack on the go than these broccoli and cheese muffins. Simple to create and easy to batch prepare, you can stash these muffins in your freezer so you always have a go-to snack on hand for your hungry baby or toddler.
Adults love these muffins too!
Why offer broccoli to your baby?
Broccoli is such an amazing food to offer to your baby and by offering it early on, you’ll make sure that they’re a fan for life. Even now at three and six years old, both my boys choose broccoli as their veg of choice. Felix even goes as far to have broccoli as a snack!
Broccoli is amazing for you because:
- It’s a good source of fibre which may help to prevent constipation – a common complaint for weaning babies
- Packed full of Vitamin C for a healthy immune system
- Also contains Vitamins A, B, E and K!
- A fantastic source of iron, something your baby needs to get from food sources after six months+
- Contains calcium – vital for bone and teeth health
- Also contains potassium, selenium and magnesium – all vital for supporting your baby’s health.
There’s no arguing with all that nutritional goodness!
Our favourite baby led weaning products
More baby led weaning muffin recipes
How to make broccoli and cheese muffins for babies
This recipe is super simple to make and hopefully you have all the ingredients you need in your fridge and store cupboard!
Simply mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another. Combine the two until a lumpy mixture is formed and then bake in the oven for around 15 minutes.
Leave to cool completely before enjoying these gorgeous broccoli and cheese muffins for babies!
What type of cheese is best?
I like to make these broccoli and cheese muffins with a sharp mature cheddar so they’re really flavoursome, but I have also been known to make them with a blend of grated mozzarella too. Mozzarella adds an extra element of creaminess which you don’t really get with cheddar on its own.
I have also tried these with grated Violife vegan cheese which made them extra gooey and meant that although they weren’t completely vegan, by replacing the milk with a plant-based alternative, we were nearly there!
How long do these broccoli and cheese muffins last for?
These muffins can be kept in an air tight container for four days or alternatively can be frozen. Just make sure you fully defrost them before serving. The less fresh they are, the less moist they become, so just remember that if you are offering them to a younger baby.
- 125 grams plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 200 grams cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 150ml milk
- 100 grams broccoli (grated)
- Preheat the oven to 200C and line a muffin tray
- Combine dry ingredients (flour, cheese, baking powder, grated broccoli) in one bowl and wet ingredients (egg and milk) in a second bowl.
- Mix the two together until a lumpy mixture is formed.
- Spoon the mixture into the lined muffin tin and place in the centre of the preheated oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes. You can tell when the broccoli and cheese muffins are ready as a skewer inserted into them will come out clean.
- Leave to cool fully before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 242Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 330mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 12g
Author: Nicola Hughes
Nicola has weaned both of her boys using the baby led weaning method. She loves nothing better than creating simple recipes that anyone can recreate, using as few ingredients as possible. All of her recipes have been tried and tested by both Dexter and Felix and have their seal of approval!