I love this time of year. The cooler days, the darker evenings, the trips to the pumpkin patch. Of course, the boys have wanted to visit the patch every weekend so I have ended up with tons of pumpkin to use up. we’ve tried to think of loads of different ways to use it up which is how this cheesy pumpkin pasta recipe was created.
Gooey and cheesy, this indulgent pumpkin pasta sauce is suitable for babies as well as the whole family. It uses only a few simple ingredients and is a super easy recipe to make a quick lunch or dinner for your baby or the whole family.
Pumpkin for babies
Is pumpkin on your list of foods you want to offer to baby, but have no idea what to do with it? Don’t worry, I have tons of ideas of what to use pumpkin for.
Technically a fruit, pumpkins are planted between May and July and are ready to harvest in October – hence why they are very much associated with Halloween and harvest.
The health benefits of offering pumpkin to your baby are plentiful:
- Rich in antioxidants which enhances the immune system – very much needed during the cold autumn and winter months!
- Contains calcium and magnesium which help build strong teeth and bones
- Rich in phosphorus which is great for digestion and brain health
- Pumpkins contain tryptophan that helps the body produce serotonin. This amino acid helps induce calmness and drowsiness which could help your baby sleep better! (A huge reason to feed pumpkin errrryday!)
How to make pumpkin puree
This recipe requires half a cup of pumpkin puree, and maybe you’re wondering – how on earth do I make it?!
Naturally, I have a blog post detailing the whole process and once you have gutted your pumpkin and yielded a huge bowl of pumpkin puree, you’ll be able to try every single pumpkin based recipe I have posted on the blog!
Read the post: How to make pumpkin puree
More Pumpkin Recipes for Babies
What sort of pasta should I serve this cheesy pumpkin pasta with?
There are SO many types of pasta, it can be confusing to decide on which one is best for your baby.
With both Dexter and Felix, we used either penne, fusilli or spaghetti. Penne and fusilli are great for baby to practise using their pincer grip, whereas we find that spaghetti just gets shoved in any which way!
Related Post: 20+ Baby Led Weaning Pasta Recipes
Can this pumpkin pasta sauce recipe be altered to suit my taste?
Absolutely! Add a pinch of chilli flakes or some fresh basil to give it a richer taste. Of course you can also add salt if that’s your thing, but I’d definitely recommend leaving it out for your baby.
More Pasta and Pasta Sauce Recipes for Babies
If you enjoyed this recipe, please be sure to pin the image below so others can find it too!
Cheesy Pumpkin Pasta for Babies
Heavenly, cheesy pumpkin pasta that is suitable for babies. Quick to make and super scrummy for your baby
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 50 grams sharp cheddar (grated)
- 100ml cream
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over low heat.
- When butter is fully melted, add the flour and combine throughly with a wooden spoon so it doesn't stick.
- When combined, it'll form a paste, at this point, you can add the cream and continue to stir the sauce together.
- Add the grated cheese and let it melt in the sauce, it'll begin to thicken up.
- Stir in the pumpkin puree and add the pepper.
- Keep the sauce simmering on low, until it's as thick as you'd like and then serve with cooked pasta.
- Make sure the pumpkin pasta sauce is cooled fully before serving to baby.