Introducing this yummy, quick and super healthy chicken and rice for kids! If you’re looking for a quick lunch or dinner idea for your little ones, then look no further! The whole family will love this delicious chicken and rice recipe!
Chicken and rice for kids
Some evenings you get home from a long day at work and need to quickly throw something together for the whole family to enjoy. This chicken and rice recipe for kids is the perfect speedy dinner recipe that the whole fam can enjoy!
Jam packed with veggies and plenty of proteins for your growing kids, this dish will keep your kids happy and healthy!
Why offer chicken to your kids?
Chicken is jam packed full of health benefits as well as being a great way to offer protein to your kids.
Some of the health benefits of chicken include:
- Niacin – helps turn food into energy
- Selenium – helps to improve cognition and a healthy immune system
- Phosphorus – builds strong, healthy bones
- Vitamin B6 – important for brain development
- Vitamin B12 – keeps blood and nerve cells healthy
- Riboflavin – essential for healthy growth
- Copper – helps maintain healthy bones, blood vessels, nerves, and immune function
- Zinc – maintains a healthy immune system
- Potassium – an essential mineral that helps heart function
- Protein – essential for building and repairing your tissues and maintaining muscle mass
More kid-friendly recipes:
What rice do you use in this recipe?
You can use any rice you like for this recipe, but my preferred type of rice is basmati.
To make this recipe as easy as possible, I buy pouches of microwavable rice from the supermarket (they cost around 35p each) and are ready in the microwave in less than 2 minutes. You can then simply add the rice to the pan once the tofu and veggies are cooked – simple!
Of course you can also cook rice ready to make this recipe, but this will add on an extra 20 minutes to the prep time.
Can the chicken in this recipe be replaced?
Absolutely! You can use tofu, minced pork, minced beef or cooked turkey – any would work really well with this rice recipe for kids! you could even omit the meat all together and throw in a few extra veggies to bulk it up!
Can adults eat this chicken and rice recipe too?
Definitely! This is a great family recipe to share with everybody. The ingredients I’ve listed below are to make two kid sized bowls of chicken and rice, so consider doubling the quantities if you’re thinking about making this dish for a family of three or more.
What veggies can you add to this chicken and rice recipe?
You can add absolutely any veggies that you like to this chicken and rice for kids recipe. I used red pepper and broccoli as I love the colour combination and this is what I had available in my fridge but you could also consider adding:
- Runner beans
If you liked this recipe, please share the image below on Pinterest so others can find it too!
Chicken and Rice for Kids
Discover this yummy chicken and rice recipe for kids. This delicious meal is the perfect quick lunch or dinner for your children, suitable from toddlerhood all the way to adulthood!
- 110g chicken
- 2 florets of broccoli
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 red pepper
- soy sauce
- olive oil
- cooked rice (I use a microwavable pouch)
- Cut chicken into small chunks
- Slice the pepper into strips and then slice widthways
- Break the broccoli florets into smaller pieces.
- Add olive oil to a frying pan, then place the chicken in, letting it fry for four minutes.
- Add the pepper and onion to the chicken and stir fry together for a further six minutes. (The chicken is cooked when there's no pink in the middle)
- Add a splash of soy sauce and stir to coat everything for a further minute.
- Add your rice and mix through to combine. Add another splash of soy sauce and stir fry for two minutes.
- Serve in bowls.