Introducing this yummy, quick and super healthy tofu fried rice for kids! If you’re looking for a vegan or vegetarian quick lunch or dinner idea for your little ones, then look no further! The whole family will love this delicious tofu recipe!
What is tofu?
Tofu is condensed soybeans, curdled and pressed into solid white blocks that creates a vegan food that is rich in protein and contains all the amino acids your body needs. Tofu is also low in calories and is very versatile – you can use it as a replacement for meat or scramble it, making it a great alternative to eggs.
Why offer tofu to your kids?
Tofu is jam packed full of health benefits as well as being a great way to introduce vegan food to your kids. I am definitely more aware of the effects the human race are having on the planet as I get older and it’s one of my aims this year to have more vegan and vegetarian meals instead of eating meat every single day.
Some of the health benefits of tofu include:
- High in fibre – which is great for your bowels and lowers your chance of developing colorectal cancers
- Contains a good amount of iron – important for keeping red blood cells healthy
- Source of calcium – vital for healthy teeth and bones
- Contains manganese – helps the body form connective tissue and bones
- Good source of phosphorous – helps with formation of bones and teeth
More kid-friendly recipes:
What rice do you use in this recipe?
You can use any rice you like for this recipe, but my preferred type of rice is basmati.
To make this recipe as easy as possible, I buy pouches of microwavable rice from the supermarket (they cost around 35p each) and are ready in the microwave in less than 2 minutes. You can then simply add the rice to the pan once the tofu and veggies are cooked – simple!
Of course you can also cook rice ready to make this recipe, but this will add on an extra 20 minutes to the prep time.
Can the tofu in this fried rice recipe be replaced?
Absolutely! You can use cooked chicken, minced pork, minced beef or cooked turkey – any would work really well with this fried rice recipe for kids! you could even omit the meat or tofu all together and throw in a few extra veggies to bulk it up!
Can adults eat this tofu fried rice recipe too?
Definitely! This is a great family recipe to share with everybody. The ingredients I’ve listed below are to make two kid sized bowls of tofu fried rice, so consider doubling the quantities if you’re thinking about making this dish for a family of three or more.
What veggies can you add to this tofu fried rice recipe?
You can add absolutely any veggies that you like to this tofu fried rice for kids recipe. I used red pepper and broccoli as I love the colour combination and this is what I had available in my fridge but you could also consider adding:
- Runner beans
If you liked this recipe, please share the image below on Pinterest so others can find it too!
Tofu Fried Rice for Kids
Discover vegan-friendly and vegetarian tofu fried rice for kids. This delicious meal is the perfect quick lunch or dinner for your children, suitable from toddlerhood all the way to adulthood!
- 110g tofu
- 2 florets of broccoli
- 1/2 red pepper
- soy sauce
- olive oil
- cooked rice (I use a microwavable pouch)
- Remove the tofu from the packet and place it on kitchen towel for five minutes while prepping your veg.
- Slice the pepper into strips and then slice widthways
- Break the florets into smaller pieces.
- Add olive oil to a frying pan, then place the tofu in, letting it fry for four minutes on each side.
- When you flip the tofu, add the veggies and a splash of soy sauce and let them cook together for a further four minutes.
- Add your rice and mix through to combine. Add another splash of soy sauce and stir fry for two minutes.
- Serve in bowls.