Cauliflower cheese is an incredibly warming comfort food that is perfect for the winter months. don’t let following a gluten free diet put you off making deliciously creamy cauliflower cheese to enjoy with your Sunday roast. This gluten free cauliflower cheese recipe creates amazing cauliflower cheese that you can enjoy to your heart’s content!
Deliciously creamy and jam packed full of nutrients – your will love this recipe which can be shared with the whole family!
Gluten free cauliflower cheese
It takes a bit of time to make this gluten free cauliflower cheese recipe, but the result is well worth the effort! Deliciously creamy and full of healthy nutrients, cauliflower cheese makes the ideal side dish to a Sunday roast or can be served by itself as yummy lunch for your kids!
Why eat cauliflower in your diet?
Cauliflower is a nutrient-rich vegetable which boasts a whole load of health benefits for you and your family. Key nutrients include:
- Fibre – helps keep things moving in the digestive tract and helps prevent constipation
- Vitamin C – maintains a healthy immune system
- Vitamin K – helps to make the proteins that build bones
- Vitamin B6 – important for brain development
- Folate – helps with the formation of red blood cells
- Potassium – helps cells to function normally
- Manganese – necessary for building healthy bones and tissues
- Magnesium – supports muscle and nerve function
- Phosphorus – builds strong healthy bones
How do you make gluten free cauliflower cheese?
Gluten free cauliflower cheese is super simple to make. Just follow these few easy steps:
- Boil the cauliflower on the hob for around 15 minutes, until soft.
- Meanwhile make the cheese sauce, using butter, milk, gluten free flour and cheese.
- Combine the cauliflower and cheese sauce in an oven proof dish and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
Can you use frozen cauliflower to make this recipe?
Absolutely! There’s been this myth over the last few decades that frozen isn’t as good as fresh as it contains less nutrients, but recent studies show this isn’t the case.
As long as your frozen cauliflower is stored properly and you haven’t been hanging onto it for too long, it will work just as well and be just as nutritious!
Simply boil the frozen cauliflower just as you would the fresh cauliflower!
What sort of cheese should I use?
Any hard cheese will work well, but I prefer to use cheddar as it is nice and sharp and something we always have in our fridge to hand. Other good choices are:
- Monterey Jack
What do you serve alongside gluten free cauliflower cheese?
This recipe can be served alone or can be part of a bigger meal. We often serve cauliflower cheese alongside a Sunday roast or other warming Winter meals such as toad in the hole.
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 300 ml milk
- 2 tbsp gluten free flour
- knob of butter
- 60 grams cheese
- Boil the kettle and preheat the oven to 180C.
- Break up the head of cauliflower by either pulling our florets to place in a saucepan or use a food processor to break it up into smaller chunks.
- Place the cauliflower in the saucepan and cover with boiling water. Boil for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a milk pan, add a knob of butter and once it is melted, add the milk and gluten-free flour, whisking continuously until all the flour is absorbed. Add the cheese and keep whisking until the sauce becomes thick and creamy.
- Drain the water from the cauliflower and add it to an oven safe dish. Cover the cauliflower with the cheese sauce and place in the oven on the top shelf for twenty minutes.
- Cool fully before serving to baby - cauliflower cheese is extremely hot when it comes out of the oven.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 171Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 178mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 9g
Author: Nicola Hughes
Nicola has weaned both of her boys using the baby led weaning method. She loves nothing better than creating simple recipes that anyone can recreate, using as few ingredients as possible. All of her recipes have been tried and tested by both Dexter and Felix and have their seal of approval!