I am always looking to craft meals with ingredients I already have in my fridge and cupboards. There’s nothing worse than wanting to make something yummy and finding you need to run out to the supermarket to grab a few essential ingredients. This carbonara for toddlers uses greek yoghurt: something I always have in; chorizo, another staple in our fridge, and spinach (although this can easily be switched for finely grated courgettes). My favourite part of this carbonara recipe for kids? It can be knocked up in about fifteen minutes, making it an idea lunch or quick supper if, like me, you are a working mum who doesn’t get in until late.
Easy Carbonara for Toddlers
Carbonara is one of my favourite dishes, but my husband is not a fan! Thank god my toddler is a huge foodie and will enjoy these types of meals with me now!
This carbonara for toddlers is super simple to create, uses spinach for some added iron and extra nutrients and uses delicious chorizo to add a bit of zing!
How do you serve this carbonara for toddlers?
I’m a huge fan of the Munchkin hot plates which let you know when the food is cool enough for your toddler to start digging in!
If your toddler isn’t quite ready for plates, then pour it on their highchair tray, which you can see we ended up doing in the photo below!
This carbonara for toddlers is also a fantastic dish if your toddler is getting to grips with cutlery. We have used a huge range of cutlery with our growing toddlers, with Doddl cutlery being our favourite!
What did Dexter think of this carbonara for toddlers?
Dex loved this carbonara for toddlers and it has become one of our staple go-to meals when Daddy is out for the evening!
What about the mess?
This IS a pretty messy meal, so get prepared with a BIBaDo or other form of coverall bib and get that bath run ready! As you can see from the photo, Dex was only wearing a Bibetta neoprene bib when he ate this meal, so he got pretty covered!
Related Post: Our favourite baby led weaning bibs
Let me know if you try the toddler carbonara recipe and tell me what you think. If you enjoyed this carbonara for toddlers recipe, please consider pinning the image below, so others can find it too!
Carbonara for Toddlers
Delicious carbonara for toddlers using chorizo and spinach to create a simple and healthy dish you can share with your toddler!
- 200g pasta
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 50g full fat Greek yoghurt
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 160g spinach
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 75g chorizo, finely sliced and cubed
- 30g grated cheese (Parmesan, or finely grated cheddar)
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, pour some hot water from the kettle into a medium sized bowl so it's about half full.
- In a frying pan, fry the chorizo in the oil until it softens, add the garlic and throw in the spinach until it i wilted. Take off the heat.
- Reserve a little water from the pasta and drain. Empty the bowl of water and pour in the yoghurt along with the cheese, salt and pepper. Crack the egg into the mixture then whisk with a fork until a sauce forms.
- Toss the spinach and chorizo into the sauce and add the pasta. Stir to coat evenly. The reserved water can be added if the sauce seems a little too thick.
Hayley - Devon Mama
Thursday 7th of September 2017
This looks delicious!! Please send some via post next time you're making - would save me cooking a mountain of pasta (I can never get the portion size right!)