Creating baby led weaning burgers is my new favourite way to create healthy and delicious lunches and dinners for Felix, plus we can enjoy these baby led weaning recipes as a family too. I really enjoy grabbing a bowl, throwing in a mix of ingredients and seeing what new and exciting patty I can create, which is how I discovered these beetroot, spinach, feta and quinoa baby led weaning burgers.
Why use Beetroot?
Beetroot is becoming a baby led weaning staple ingredient for us at the moment. Why give beetroot to your baby? Well, it contains a whole load of vitamins and minerals which are great for baby:
- vitamin C
- vitamin b6
All of these nutrients will be beneficial for your baby to consume whilst the fibre could potentially help with constipation.
Beetroot is pretty cheap too, I picked up a packet from Tesco for less than 90p and it has made us four portions of beetroot pancakes, three portions of beetroot pasta sauce and five portions of these baby led weaning burgers, so it’s certainly excellent value for money.
As usual, there are things can you can change up in this recipe, depending on your tastes/allergy issues or what you have in your pantry. First of all, the egg can be replaced with flax-egg, which is 1tbsp of flaxmeal plus 2.5tbsp of water. The flour can be switched to a gluten free version if you have an allergy and the quinoa can be replaced by couscous or bulgur wheat.
These baby led weaning burgers create a delicious vegetarian burger which has a slight crunch thanks to the quinoa. The flour and egg binds them well and you can easily cut them into three strips as finger food for your baby, or serve whole for older babies. The beetroot turns the whole mixture bright pink which I think looks amazing and is eye catching for younger babies.
The baby led weaning burgers can be batch cooked and kept in the fridge (three days) or stored in the freezer (one month). Makes you fully defrost them before offering them to your baby slightly warmed or cold.
Let me know what you think of this recipe and if you give it a go! Hope your baby enjoyed them as much as Felix does!
- 60 grams steamed beetroot I used one ball of beetroot from the pack I bought
- 30 grams feta
- 1 egg
- 80 grams spinach
- 50 grams uncooked quinoa
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- Cook the quinoa as per the instructions on the packet. Meanwhile blitz your beetroot in a food processor/blender. You can also wilt your spinach at this stage either on the hob or by pouring boiling water over it while its in a colander. If you choose the latter, ensure the spinach has as much moisture squeezed out as possible before finely chopping it
- In a bowl add blitzed beetroot, crumbled feta, spinach, one egg, cooked quinoa and mix together. Once fully combined, add the flour and you will see the mixture become denser.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan, then using a tablespoon, create walnut sized balls and place in the pan, flattening them with the back of the spoon. After 3-4 minutes, turn them over and flatten again.
- You can cook 3-4 patties at a time, until all the mixture is used. Leave to cool completely before serving to baby.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 97Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 98mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g