With the colder months comes the desire to wrap up warm, flick the heating on and get in the kitchen to make delicious, warming soups. I crave soup most days during the Autumn and Winter months and love nothing more than whipping up some classics for me and the boys to enjoy. This broccoli soup for babies is perfect for the whole family!
This recipe uses broccoli and stilton to create a soup that will warm you up from the inside out. It can be batch made for soup on the go and altered slightly if you don’t yet wish to offer stilton to your baby.
Why offer broccoli to your baby?
Broccoli is a wonderful food to offer to your baby as it’s super healthy, extremely nutritious and is really fun to play with and explore.
Broccoli soup for babies is an easy way to feed your baby broccoli and helps them develop their cutlery-using skills.
Broccoli is packed full of:
- Vitamin A – strengthen’s your baby’s immune system, helps with vision and keeps skin healthy.
- Vitamin C – keeping your baby’s cells healthy and protecting them from infections
- Vitamin E – helps the immune system and promotes healthy heart health
- Iron – helps your baby’s brain to develop normally
- Magnesium – helps baby to grow and promotes sleep
- Calcium – helps builds strong teeth and bones
- Potassium – helps maintain a healthy blood pressure
Is there anything broccoli can’t do?!
Is stilton suitable for babies?
Blue veined and mould-ripened soft cheese should be avoided when you’re pregnant and before baby turns one. This is due to the chances of these types of cheeses containing a harmful bacteria called listeria.
However, using cheese such as stilton in cooking is fine, as the cooking process kills the presence of any listeria.
Of course, it’s up to you whether you choose to offer cheese such as stilton to your baby. It can easily be left out of this broccoli soup for babies recipes and the soup will still taste great.
How do you serve this broccoli soup for babies?
Make sure this broccoli soup for babies is fully cooled before serving to your baby. If you are following the traditional weaning path you can spoon feed this soup to your baby. If you are doing baby led weaning, you can offer pre-loaded spoons.
If your baby is a little older, try them with their own cutlery and see how they get on – soup is always a messy business though – be warned!
What cutlery does Felix use to eat this soup?
We were sent some Doddl cutlery to review back when Dexter was a tiny baby and we still use this cutlery to this day with Felix.
The cutlery has an ergonomic design making it easy for your baby to use.
Buy your own Doddl cutlery here*
What blender do you use to make your soups?
I use a hand held blender to make all my soups and love this one from Russell Hobbs*
It costs less than £12 and we’ve had it for a number of years now. It’s seen us make a ton of soup over its lifetime!
Can adults enjoy this broccoli and stilton soup recipe too?
Absolutely! This broccoli soup for babies is perfect for the whole family! For my portion, I sprinkled a little extra stilton on top along with some super crusty croutons. I then added black pepper and chilli flakes to give it an extra kick!
How long does this broccoli soup for babies keep for?
The best thing about creating soup is that you can make loads and keep it in the fridge for a later date.
This broccoli soup for babies will keep in the fridge for up to four days. It can also be frozen for up to a month. Make sure it’s fully defrosted before reheating!
If you liked this recipe, please pin the image below onto Pinterest so others can find and enjoy it too!
- half an onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium potato, diced
- One head of broccoli (divided into smaller florets)
- 50 grams stilton (optional)
- 4 tsp bouillon (or vegetable stock)
- 1 litre water
- bread (to serve)
- 50-100ml of cream (depending on taste)
- Add the olive oil to a large saucepan, then tip in the sliced onions. Fry the onions on medium heat for around five minutes, or until browned.
- Stir in the dry bouillon and mix with the onions thoroughly with a wooden spatula for around 30-60 seconds until the onion is coated with the flavour.
- Add the water and potato and crank up the heat until the water is boiling.
- Add the lid to the saucepan and turn the heat down to a simmer for twenty minutes.
- Meanwhile, pop your bread into the oven to harden.
- Add the broccoli florets and sprinkle in the stilton cheese if using. Give the mixture a good stir.
- Crank the heat again and when bubbling, turn down to a simmer for a further five minutes.
- Remove the soup for the heat and use a blender to create a luxuriously tick soup.
- Pour the cream in and stir lightly to combine.
- Serve this broccoli soup for babies in bowls with a little stilton sprinkled on the top (if using) along with your hardened oven bread smashed into croutons. Add a little black pepper or chilli flakes for an extra kick.
- Ensure the soup is fully cooled before serving to your baby.
Amount Per Serving: