If you’re looking for a quick and healthy snack for your weaning baby, why not try these banana and avocado muffins? If you’ve got bananas and avocados that are sat around about to go off, don’t chuck them! Use them as part of this healthy recipe so the whole family can enjoy!
Banana and Avocado Muffins for Babies
I love making muffins as a baby led weaning snack as they’re easy to batch make (so you have snacks on hand for the whole week!) and super easy for baby to handle and feed themselves.
These banana and avocado muffins for babies contain two extremely nutritious ingredients that will give your baby tons of energy as well as helping their development and are super tasty to boot!
Why offer avocado to your baby?
I remember being really scared of avocado when I first started weaning Dexter as I just didn’t understand this incredible superfood.
It felt like every time I bought an avocado from the supermarket, it would be tough to open and the fruit inside would be super hard, making it difficult to ease out of it’s shell and definitely not something I wanted to offer to a tiny baby.
Over the years and after lots of trial and error, I’ve discovered that you avocado needs to be left to ripen and have become better at understanding when it’s at it’s optimum time to eat.
Avocados are an incredible source of nutrition, not just for your baby, but for you too. I try to eat at least three a week as the health benefits speak for themselves.
- Vitamin K – this essential vitamin helps our blood to clot
- Folate – helps the body make essential red blood cells
- Vitamin C – helps the immune system to function properly
- Potassium – helps to regulate the balance of fluids in the body
- Vitamin B5 – helps convert food into energy
- Vitamin E – a powerful antioxidant that helps protect cells
- Lutein – important for eye health
What are the benefits of offering banana to your baby?
Just like avocados, bananas are a fantastic source of nutrition for your baby. Both our babies have loved devouring bananas over the years. They make a fantastic quick snack and are a really fab versatile ingredient for including in recipes like banana pancakes, muffins and of course banana bread too!
- High fibre – great for gut health!
- Tons of potassium – helps to regulate fluid and is good for healthy heart function
- Energy boosting properties – well needed for those toddlers who are constantly on the go!
How to make banana and avocado muffins
These banana and avocado muffins are super simple to make and if you have a toddler or preschooler as well as your weaning baby, why not get them involved to help with the mixing?
- Preheat the oven to 190C or 170C if you have a fan oven and line your muffin tin with cases.
- Grab two bowls for your ingredients. In the first mix the dry and in the second mix the wet ingredients.
- Mix all ingredients together before scooping into the muffin tins.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes
- Leave to cool fully before offering to your baby
More baby led weaning muffin recipes:
How long do these banana and avocado muffins last?
The muffins will last for up to five days in an air tight container. I store them on the countertop as opposed to the fridge as they can get a little soggy if refrigerated.
Where did you get the silicone muffin tin?
This silicone mould was gifted to me by my mother-in-law, however there are very similar products available on Amazon just like the one below!
Using a silicone mould is way less faffy than using a tin with paper cases and the heart shaped muffins are super cute too (perfect for those baby led weaning Insta shots!)
If you liked this post, I would be grateful if you could pin the image below so others can find it too 🙂
Banana and Avocado Muffins
Sugar free banana and avocado muffins for babies - a healthy and delicious baby led weaning snack!
- 250g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 70g melted butter
- 2 banana (as ripe as possible)
- 1 avocado
- 2 eggs
- 125ml milk
- Preheat your oven to 190C (170C fan) and line a muffin tin with cases (or use a silicone mould)
- In a bowl mix the flour and baking powder and combine.
- In a second bowl melt butter in the microwave carefully then add bananas and mash with a fork. Add the avocado (it helps for this to be as ripe as possible too), two eggs and the milk. Use a hand blender if necessary to ensure the batter is as smooth as possible.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour and slowly pour the wet ingredients in, mixing slowly with a fork. Mix until all ingredients are totally combined.
- Add the mixture into the muffin cases using a tablespoon or ice cream scoop.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until a cake skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool fully before serving to baby.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 104Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 137mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 2g