BLW // 8 Must-Have Products

BLW // 8 Must-Have Products

We have had such a great success with baby led weaning and I’ve enjoyed the experience immensely. It has been a huge learning curve: finding out what foods work, finding out how to effectively clean up the mess and finding the right products that work for us. Here I’ve compiled a list of must-have BLW products that have been invaluable on our journey. If you are just starting out or plan to soon, try and get hold of some of them.

1. Nuby Sure Grip Mat

This mat has been the best thing for avoiding a huge mess on the floor during meal times. Before I owned this product, I used to put Dexter’s food on his tray and let him at it. Invariably, he would swipe half of the food off the tray and onto the floor completely accidentally. Since I have introduced this tray, hardly anything falls on the floor. It is a mat that sticks really well to the highchair tray and has two small bowl areas for baby to pick food out of it. The rubber means the mat is easily cleaned. I simply run it under the hot tap after each meal and stick it in the dishwasher at the end of the day. For £7 it’s an absolute bargain.

2. Ikea Antilop Highchair

My list of must-have BLW products if you decide to do baby led weaning. BLW can be a messy business so these products will help make life easier.Pretty much any high chair with a tray will do, but this Ikea Antilope one has rave reviews from other BLWers. The main reason being that the chair can be easily disassembled and thrown in the dishwasher to be cleaned. Trust me, baby led weaning is a messy business and the fact it can be chucked in the dishwasher is a godsend. We currently have a hair chair with pokey holes which means food gets stuck down them which then turns into disgusting mould. That thing has to go in the dishwasher every night and it’s really difficult to get back together. Order this high chair and you won’t need to worry about any of that! Now that Dex is a toddler we actually use the Joie Mimzi Snacker which has a lovely big tray perfect for BLW and is easy to wipe clean. Read the full review here.

3. Nuby Lock and Roll On The Go Bib

These bibs are a must have for catching all the food that inevitably gets dropped by those little hands that are still learning. Firstly, this saves you having to clean up messy legs and secondly, it saves the food neatly in a pile ready to be popped back on the tray again. These bibs are nice and soft, I often have to try and stop Dex from gumming it to ease his teething pains and remind him he is meant to be eating the actual food!

4. Munchkin Hot White Plates

I absolutely adore these plates. Everytime I make food, I place it on these plates and they tell me if the food is too hot by turning white. It’s great for things like I’ve blitzed in the microwave like jacket potatoes and the like. Once I’m happy the food is cool enough, I transfer from the plate to the Nuby sure grip mat. At the moment Dex isn’t ready to have a plate infront of him as he’d simply swipe it off the tray. Munchkin also make hot white bowls too!

5. Numnum Cutlery

I haven’t used this cutlery set yet, but it still on my list because I think it is a fantastic idea. These spoons are ideal for when you are transitioning from using hands to a proper spoon. The ‘pre spoon’ grabs hold of liquid items such as yoghurt and purees and doesn’t spill like a conventional spoon. At the moment these are only available in the US which is a shame for us UK citizens, but hopefully that will change soon.

6. Munchkin Hot White Spoons

I love these Munchkin white hot spoons. They work in the same principle as the plates above. Why spoons on a BLW list though, I hear you cry! Well, I like to offer Dex a pre loaded spoon of yoghurt or porridge in the morning. I simply dip the spoon in the porridge and let him take it off me (or the tray). It can get quite messy, but that’s the fun of BLW right?

7. Baby Wipes

For me, baby wipes are a huge essential for post meal clean up because baby’s face, hands and probably body will be covered in food. I like these water wipes because they contain 99% water and are really, really wet which makes for an easier clean up. You can read more about how WaterWipes can help protect your baby’s skin in winter here.

8. BIBaDO

This amazing coverall bib means that not one scrap of food gets onto baby’s clothes or the highchair. I don’t know how we ever lived without it. Read my full review of this amazing product here. This bib has saved me hours of cleaning up and stopped Dex ruining more vests.

Now that you know what products you need, why not check out some of my yummy baby-led weaning recipes?

What are your must-have BLW products? Anything you think I’ve missed?

*This post contains affiliate links (which means if you click the link then go on to purchase, I make a small commission)

A list of baby led weaning essentials. These 8 must have BLW products were a life saver during our weaning journey. Making mess easier to cope with so clean up is not a hassle.

1. 2nd March 2017 / 7:59 am

Great list! I really want to try those spoons!

2. 2nd March 2017 / 8:02 am

I wish I had your positivity with weaning, I’ve found it the hardest part of parenting! I love the idea of the Numnum cutlery though, especially as yoghurt is one of the few foods little N will eat reguarly

3. 3rd March 2017 / 8:51 am

Baby wipes are a must – I use them for absolutely everything and I don’t even have a baby! I love the idea of the white hot plates and spoons. Great way to double check that things aren’t too hot for baby!
    Debbie

4. 3rd March 2017 / 9:20 am

With my first I didn’t really do baby led preferring to feed him from the spoon. But my second it was much easier. The IKEA high chair that could be sprayed down was a must for us. And Pinterest was another must for inspiration!

5. 3rd March 2017 / 9:37 am

We have the nuby sure grip and love it. We don’t tend to use it at home very often as I just put food on the highchair tray, but I take it with us if we’re going to be eating out. We use the munchkin spoons though and they give me such peace of mind about the temperature of his food

6. 3rd March 2017 / 10:28 am

What a great collection of products! We use Water Wipes & I love how they are pure without all of the added ingredients other wipes have. The sure grip mat from Nuby looks like it’d be really secure & prevent those frisbee plate moments – that always happen when red sauce is involved!!

7. 3rd March 2017 / 10:34 am

I’ve used the ikea chair so many times when we’re out and there’s a huge plus to it’s simplicity! I wish we’d embraced that one some times. Love love LOVE the idea of the white hot range, how clever is that?! I’m fed up of mashing my finger into the middle of things to judge how hot they are!

8. 3rd March 2017 / 7:55 pm

These are great essentials, I would add a mess mat to this list and spare clothes. We’ve done it twice now, the first time I knew no different.

9. 3rd March 2017 / 9:12 pm

These are all definite must-haves. I am sure we had the white hot spoons with Lils – will have to find them now as Wills has started weaning too.

10. 6th March 2017 / 6:23 am

We love this high chair. With my first we were given a wood and metal one but it was a real pain to clean. Needless to say we didn’t keep it when we could pick up this ikea one so cheap.

11. 8th March 2017 / 5:30 pm

We’ve not long started food so this is a great list for us! I love the IKEA highchair and i’m now glad I didn’t go for anything else. I love the Nuby Mat and the Munchkin Hot White Plates – I will definitely be investing! #KCACOLS

12. 9th March 2017 / 1:22 pm

There are some really handy items here! I always use bibs that catch the bits of food they drop, they are great to save even more food going on the floor! Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS, hope you come back again next Sunday xx

13. 12th March 2017 / 3:58 pm

great post! I’ve been looking for a good stick down bowl so I might have a look at the Nuby one. We love Munchkin spoons as well #KCACOLS

14. Linda
    16th March 2017 / 1:43 pm

I have Ikea Antilop highchair and I can recommend it.

15. Laura @ Dot Makes 4
    17th March 2017 / 2:49 pm

This is a great list!
    I use WaterWipes. I swear by them! I wish I’d seen the Nuby Grip mat when Dot was weaning. It looks brilliant!

#KCACOLS

16. 30th May 2017 / 8:19 am

Hello Nicola,
    Amazing post!What a great collection of baby products.It really touched my heart! This is a great list of known items that can make everything easier my daily life.
    Thanks for sharing this post.

17. George
    29th November 2017 / 11:51 am

Really it such an informative post. I’ve read so many amazing things about your article! This is the best site I’ve seen! Seriously thank you for all this awesomeness!

18. Margaret
    18th July 2018 / 1:22 pm

Wow, nice baby product list. All these items are really useful for our baby. I love your post. I also like Munchkin white hot spoons.
    Thanks for share.