Baby Led Weaning Recipe: Banana and Peanut Butter Oat Cookies

Baby Led Weaning Recipe: Banana and Peanut Butter Oat Cookies

I had one lonely (very ripe!) banana left in the fruit bowl and was debating what to do with it, when I realised Dex hadn’t tried cookies before. I struggle to make porridge fingers, I don’t know why, they just don’t work for me, so I am always thinking of ingenious ways to incorporate oats into Dexter’s breakfasts without having to spoonfeed him porridge.

Banana and Peanut Butter Oat Cookies recipe. An easy breakfast or snack to offer for baby led weaning. Healthy and nutritious.

These banana and peanut butter oat cookies are delicious, soft, and healthy. I didn’t add any sugar to sweeten them and they definitely don’t need it. They come in at 73 calories per cookie, so they’re also a great addition to a lunchbox as a healthy snack. This recipe makes nine cookies, but you can just double the quantities to make more.

What you will need to make these banana and peanut butter oat cookies:

1 banana

60g rolled oats

3 tbsp peanut butter

1 egg

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 180C

2. In a bowl, mash a banana with a fork. Crack in an egg and combine. Add in the oats and stir together. Finally, add the peanut butter and mix until a sticky dough is formed.

3. Line a baking tray with grease proof paper and dollop tablespoons of the mixture on to it. Flatten each dollop with the back of your spoon and shape into circles.

4. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cook for longer if you want a crispier cookie, but 12 minutes will suffice for a soft cookie suitable for BLW.

5. Leave to cool for a few minutes before consuming.

I let my husband try these before offering to them to Dex. Let’s just say Dex was lucky there were any left for him to have for breakfast! They are soft on the inside and are extremely moreish. I offered Dex three in total and accounting for scraps he probably ate the equivelent of two cookies. He is currently going through the leap 6 and is categorising everything, this meant he turned the cookie around and around in his hands, trying to figure out what it is. He put it to his mouth to take a bite and the cookie broke up. Dex was then able to pick up the smaller bits to consume. A plastic scoop bib in invaluable for collecting bits of dropped cookie so I can pick them back out for him to eat.

All in all, a huge success! Let me know if you try these delicious banana and peanut butter oat cookies. I’m going to make a big batch of them and freeze for easy access to breakfasts and on the go snacks.

My friend Kris made these cookies and posted about it on her blog. She also made two videos showing you how to make them!

Why not have a look at some of my other BLW recipes here?

If you liked this post then you have to read my guide to the must have products for baby led weaning!

1. 3rd January 2017 / 4:01 pm

Never mind the babies I like the sound of these for myself. I am rubbish at eating breakfast and these would be perfect.

2. 3rd January 2017 / 4:27 pm

Yes they are delicious. My husband ate most of them this morning so i’ll have to whip up another batch for Dex to store in the freezer 😛

3. 5th January 2017 / 1:45 pm

Good idea – we’re always left with scabby bananas, just made some banana bread with ours but these cookies would have been perfect! Ahh well, I’ll do them with next weeks leftover banana!

4. 5th January 2017 / 3:39 pm

I’d probably eat these myself too! Great recipe 🙂 ox

5. 5th January 2017 / 7:38 pm

Ooh these sound perfect for my two – although I think we’ll struggle to have any left over bananas haha. Will definitely give them a go 🙂 x

6. 5th January 2017 / 8:15 pm

These look delicious, not a huge fan of peanut butter but combined in this recipe sounds lovely. Will have to try with my pudding x

7. Daddy Poppins
    5th January 2017 / 8:46 pm

Oh they look nice. You’re making me hungry. Must give them a try.

8. 5th January 2017 / 9:27 pm

oh my goodness these look delicious! I’m also looking for new foods to give logan too so we definitely have to try these, last time I gave him a little egg, he had a very slight reaction so should be safe to introduce it soon. These also look so easy, I’m pretty crap in the kitchen but I’d definitely make these! 🙂 xx

9. 12th January 2017 / 12:38 pm

Wow so easy but look like something my little one would really love too!!
    Thanks for linking to #foodiefriday

10. Shannon
    12th January 2017 / 2:40 pm

Can these be refrigerated and re heated?

11. 13th January 2017 / 1:00 am

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm how good do these look for get the kids I want them – now !!! Bet they are fab dipped in a warm cup of coffee !!!

#FoodieFriday

12. Anca
    26th January 2017 / 9:31 pm

They are great. I added some sultans to them so they are more sweet. I love them, and baby eats them 🙂

13. Cat Foster
    22nd March 2017 / 12:36 pm

I just made these with my toddler. They a yummy, thank you for sharing 🙂

14. Anonymous
    26th July 2018 / 9:45 pm

these were delicious. I also added in some baby cereal for extra iron and nutrition.

15. Pingback: Baking Banana and Oat cookies with Mummy to Dex - Som2ny Network
  16. Kim
    6th December 2018 / 10:52 pm

I baked these with my 20 month-old granddaughter. She loved stirring it all together and helping to put the cookies on the pan. Sometimes I whip up a batch before I go visit her. Grandma gets to give her a worry free treat and the leftovers make her snack for the rest of the week, which is a help to my daughter. A big win for everyone.