Sweet potato is one of my absolute favourite ingredients to use when baby led weaning – it’s so, so versatile! Take these baby led weaning sweet potato fries for example, another amazing way to cook sweet potato in a baby-friendly way that your little one will love!
Sweet potato for babies
Why do I love offering sweet potato so much to my babies? Well, the nutritional value and health benefits speak for themselves!
Sweet potatoes are:
- Rich in vitamin C
- They contain tons of vitamin B6
- A good source of potassium and magnesium
- Great for heart and brain health
- Amazing fuel source for energy
I love that they can be mashed, spiralized, grated or sliced – offering a multitude of options when creating recipes for babies!
Baby led weaning sweet potato fries
We have been huge fans of sweet potato fries for years. We always order them every time we go to Nandos and it’s something we regularly cook up at home.
Of course, when creating sweet potato fries for babies, there was a couple of changes we needed to make to our usual way of making them.
Firstly, we ditched the salt. Babies don’t need tons of salt and as much as we love our salty sweet potato fries, when it comes to making them for baby, we totally omit the salt.
Secondly, we usually add lashings of paprika and cayenne – these two spices are a little too much for such a little one. So for this recipe we stuck with a tiny bit of garlic powder and a couple of twists of cracked black pepper.
More Sweet Potato Recipes:Sweet Potato Waffles for Babies
Sweet Potato Hash Brown Potato Cakes
Sweet Potato Mash for Babies
Sweet Potato Fritters
Sweet Potato Pancakes
Sweet Potato Soup for Babies
Sweet Potato & Tuna Burgers
Sweet Potato and Carrot Mash
What goes well with these sweet potato fries for babies?
The options are endless when it comes to what you can serve along with these baby led weaning sweet potato fries. Some of our favourite pairings include:
- Quinoa and Beetroot Burger
- Sweet Potato and Spinach Burger
- Chicken Nuggets for Babies
- Fish Fingers for Babies
What did Felix think of these baby led weaning sweet potato fries?
Felix could not wait to dig in! He really enjoyed them, using his gums to munch through.
The way these sweet potato fries for babies are cut is really helpful for younger babies who use their whole first to pick up the food. They can hold the stick in their fist and munch on the end of it!
If you like this recipe, please consider pinning the image below so others can find it too!
Baby Led Weaning Sweet Potato Fries
Delicious baby led weaning sweet potato fries, the perfect finger food for your baby! Forget traditional fries and get those veggies into your baby with these yummy sweet potato fries for babies!
- 1 sweet potato (around 150 grams)
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 200C and get a baking tray ready. Spray some frylight (cooking oil) onto the tray.
- Peel your sweet potato and then cut it into sticks - place on the baking tray.
- Combine olive oil, pepper and garlic powder in a bowl, then use a brush to coat this mixture onto the fries. Make sure you coat the whole fry.
- Place in the oven and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, carefully turn each fry and then return to the oven for a further 10 minutes.
- Leave to cool completely before serving to your baby.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 166Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 42mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 2g